Monday, August 6, 2007

Paris (August 3 - August 5)

After a full day of traveling, we arrived in Paris around 8:00 on Friday night. This just happened to be Kindall's 21st Birthday, so we wanted to take her out to celebrate. We sort of lost our way and ended up in the Latin Quarter, but then we found a delicious restaraunt and split several different types of fondue and wine. Then, we ventured towards the beautiful Notre Dame Cathedral and met some very "interesting" men from Turkey and Egypt.

Saturday was our only real day in Paris, and like Clark W. Griswold, I wanted to see it all. Therefore, I went to The Palace of Versailles in the morning and really enjoyed seeing all of the rooms and the beautiful gardens. (For Mel Brooks fans, this was the setting for his take on The French Revolution in his movie History of the World: Part I.) After Versailles, I went to The Museu de Orssey (spelling?) which is famous for its impecable collection of impressionalist art (Monet, Van Gogh, etc.). I really wanted to spend several hours there, but by the time I arrived from Versailles, which is located on the very outskirts of Paris, I only had about 90 minutes go visit the museum. I then went back to Notre Dame and got to hear mass in French, which I really enjoyed. I also liked seeing the Romanisque/Gothic structures that I learned about from my art history class.

If my day wasn't busy enough, I then went to the Eiffel Tower with some friends around 9:30 at night (it closes at 11:00). It took FOREVER to buy our tickets and get up to the very top, but it was really worth it. It was fun and a little scary seeing how high up we were and feeling the wind blow against us. We also decided to walk down the stairs from the second level because it was going on 12:30 and the lines for the elevator were super long. By the time we got a cab and made it back to the hotel, it was nearly 1:30 in the morning. We were all exhausted and hungry.

Paris made me realize how scary it is not to speak the language of the country, and I was quite happy everytime I heard English or Spanish spoken around me. It's too bad that we only had 1 day to spend there, because there certainly is more that I would have liked to do. Oh well, I'm sure Andy and I will make it back someday.

No comments: