Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Last Week with Andy / Salamanca

I know it´s been awhile since I´ve updated the blog with what I´ve actually been doing here in Salamanca, so here goes it:

After Andy and I returned from Andalucia (Sevilla and Granada), my week in Salamanca was CRAZYBUSY. In addition to my 3 classes with the Universidad, I also have to take a ¨teacher¨ education class in order to get Master´s credits for my Spanish classes. Unfortunately, I really didn´t care for the lady who was running the teacher class, and I literally had 2 days to complete my final project (luckily in English). Once again, I truly feel that teachers methods classes are a waste of my time, especially because I am here in Spain for my Spanish, not for doing something that I could do in the US. Whatever. So poor Andy was left on his own when I was in classes for four hours in the morning and then for 2 hours in the night. Then, I also had to grade journals and work on my project, so that did not leave too much time for us. He did enjoy walking around on the streets, went on 2 tours of the Cathedral and Monestaries (I went with him for this one), and slept.

On Thursday night, our last night in Salamanca, we went to one of Spain´s top rated restaraunts which ironically is here in tiny Salamanca. YUUUUMMMMM, was it good! We also heard the tunas play in La Plaza Mayor. Tunas are bands of about 8 men who dress up in medieval costumes and play fun songs for crowds for money. They sounded great!

Friday, Andy went to Madrid early in the morning while I had to stay and go to class. Andy explored Madrid on his own, went to the March 11 train bombing memorials, etc. I met up with him at night, and we had a nice dinner in Madrid´s Plaza Mayor (with a whole jarra of Sangria) and ate churros con chocolates with Delta employees at una chocolateria.

Sadly, Andy left Saturday morning, but I still had the whole day in Madrid before returning to Salamanca. So, I spent over four hours at an art museum called the Carmen Thyssemen-Byzantine (I know I just butchered that spelling!). It was fabulous, especially because there was a Van Gogh exhibit.

I took my culture and art finals this morning. Despite everything going on with Keith´s death, I still knew my stuff and feel very confident that I earned A´s on both the tests. Tomorrow´s final is grammar, and I´m not as confident in that class because I haven´t even begun to study.

So, on that note... hasta luego!

P.S. Mary Beth and I signed up for a cooking class during the night this week. So far, we´ve learned how to make paella, gazpacho, tortilla española, and some type of cold salad. YUUUUMMMMM!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scrub,
Sounds like you are still having a great time over there. Reds are playing a little better they have won 2 of 3 from the Brewers. Last night on the Wonder Years it Was the glee club where Doug Porter falls of the stage. Dad called and we had a good laugh about that. I'm sure you can catch it when it comes on again. when you get home maybe you could teach shana how to cook some of your new dishes from Spain. They sound good. Better than the Flan we used to make at Finneytown right? Talk to you soon. Be Safe.
Randy Mitchell

K. Schloemer said...

hey bets!
i can't wait to be your guinea pig for your new spanish dishes!!

ps-i researched las tunas years ago and i fell in love with their music!!!

see you soon!

Anonymous said...

I was looking for somewhere to live and spent time in Salamanca but ended up in a Polaris World apartment I am quite happy with it and the area is nice but it was mainly down to the fact that I got tired of looking around.