Monday, July 2, 2007

Madrid / Segovia / Salamanca

After spending 2.5 days in Madrid, I´m now in Salamanca. My second full day in Madrid was very busy, with visits to the Royal Palace (which isn´t used anymore), many plazas, and two of the best art museums in the world: El Prado (Goya, El Greco, and Velasquez) and La Reina Sofia (Picasso, Dalí, and Miró). It´s so fantastic to see in person paintings that I used to teach my students about and that I´ve studied in the past.

Saturday night was certainly interesting because of the Gay Pride parade in Madrid. Wow, was that crazy!!! Unlike the US, Spain is very progressive with gay rights (legalizing marriage, benefits, adoptions, etc.), and so thousands of people from all over Europe and South America were there to march. I took some FABULOUS and INTERESTING pictures which I´ll upload later since I can´t seem to figure out how this computer works in regards to uploading photos. Oh yeah, and Mary Beth and I went to a performance of the National Ballet. It was mostly flamenco dance, and it was great! Our only complaint was that there was no air conditioning in the theater. Wow, were we HOT!

Yesterday, we took a bus to Segovia which is about 1 hour from Madrid. Segovia is a little city that is known for its Roman aquaduct and castle where Queen Isabel (infamous from the Spanish Inquisition) was crowned. It amazed me that the aquaduct was still standing and functional after over 2000 years!

Last night, we made it into Salamanca. My señora is very nice with a big "house" (really an apartment). I´m sharing a room with Mary Beth, and then Vanessa has her own room. There are 2 other American girls from a different program who are also staying with us. I just met them this afternoon, and they seem nice enough. The only complaint I have about the house is that we´re on a busy street, and it´s VERY noisy, even at night. I had a hard time falling asleep last night because the windows have to be open in order for it to be cool, yet I heard the cars, garbage truck, horns, people, etc. down below. This morning, I woke up very early because of the noises too. I don´t have too many options: sleep with the window closed (and be hot), wear ear plugs (luckily, Mary Beth has an extra pair), sleep with my IPod on (which sometimes hurts my ears), or just deal with it and get used to it.

Classes start tomorrow, and I´m excited. I´m taking Spanish grammar, Spanish culture, and Spanish art. No offense to UGA, but they offer nothing like this.

More later, and hopefully I can figure out what´s up with the USB port here so I can upload some pictures (especially of the Gay Pride parade!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scrub,
Sounds like your having a great time. the Reds fired Jerry Naron yesterday. Man do they stink. I'm looking forward to seeing Sampras (and mom and dad) on Sunday. Be safe over there. Talk to you soon.

DAVID AND AMY VENN'S WEBSITE said...

Woo hoo! Segovia's Roman Aquaduct still functioning!! Go Roman Engineering!!! I've seen it; it's beautiful and LARGE!! I'm glad to know that you are enjoying your adventure thus far. FYI: I sent you a check for your Breast Cancer 3 day walk.
Much love to ya and Emily Grace says hello!
Amy

K. Schloemer said...

WOW, am I ever jealous??? I wish that I could do cool study abroad stuff like you with my program, but noooo, we aren't that cool! Athens, is still here and it is lonely without you but I am glad that you post on this bloggy thingy. I can't wait to read more (and sulk in my miserable-ness that Athens and summer school really SUCKS)! Be safe!